So more random social notes.
* Newspapers scouring the country for a woman who’ll admit to sleeping with Simon Hughes. Probably gone into hiding alongside Anne Atkins’ gay friends.
* To the _Telegraph’s_ _Scientists meet the media_ bash last night, dressed for the occasion in a suit and tie. Meet on the stairs a contributor to this comment section who is with a pretty young woman who looks thoughtful and amused, rather than enraptured, to be in the company of two such distinguished old farts. Our conversation goes something like this:
Commentator: “Ah – Andrew. Loved the Caitlin piece.”
Pretty Young Woman: “What was that about?”
C: “Blow jobs!”
Discussion becomes general and rather confused.
PYW: “And how did you know about it?”
C: “I read it on his blog.”
I become aware that I have just been, in effect, introduced to a complete stranger, someone with whom, under other circumstances, I might have enjoyed some conversation, as [“a man who keeps a blog”:http://forms.theregister.co.uk/search/?q=rotting+dog] about blow jobs. No wonder George Carey won’t sign the comments he makes here.
* Not one person I talked to at the party had a good word for Richard Dawkins’ TV series. The most vigorous denunciations all came from atheist scientists. I was a little surprised, since one of them had been very close to him.
* Sue Blackmore’s hair has gone quite white — and green, and red, with only a few yellow streaks left.
* Richard Harries signs his emails “+ Richard”.
At this, the doorbell rings, preserving you all from further excitement.